Hidden among the woods at the foot of Mount Nephin is Enniscoe House, “the last Great House of North Mayo”. Enniscoe House appears to be a classic Irish Georgian country house of medium size. However, one of its most interesting architectural features is that it is in fact one house built on to another older house.
The original house, described as a farm house, was built probably around 1740. It was a tall (3 stories over basement) single gabled building of five bays. This house is perfectly preserved as it is incorporated into the present house. Even the old gable ends are still there, hidden under the existing roof. Behind the Georgian reception rooms and staircase the joining to the old house is clearly visible.
Enniscoe Estate has been in the family since the 1650’s and the house dates from the 1790’s. Susan and her son DJ are delighted to share their house and grounds with their guests.